RE: File manager tree.

Can't there be an option made to show it or not? Best of both worlds. :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Miguel de Icaza [mailto:miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx]
Sent: Friday, May 28, 1999 10:36 AM
To: gnome-hackers@nuclecu.unam.mx; gnome-list@gnome.org;
mc@nuclecu.unam.mx
Subject: File manager tree.

Hello guys,

   So I fixed the bug people were reporting with the file manager tree
for displaying incorrect data.  But this is not an optimal solution.

   The problem is as follows:

       1. The Windows-like feature of the tree in the file manager is
          that you get a little square next to each directory which
          can be empty for directories that do not contain any
          subdirectories or a box with a plus sign, if the directory
          contains subdirectories.

	  If you have a plus sign ([+]) and click on it, it converts
	  to a [-] icon and opens the tree.

	  This is a nice feature.

       2. Slow file systems are all over the place in Unix.  They
          appear on the most unusual places: special directories might
          refer to remote servers (afs, dfs), arbitrary locations can
          be slow (NFS /users), or special vfs places (/#smb/ for
          server listings).

    The big problem here is that in order to achieve (1) you need to
do a 2-level scan of the directories: one pass to scan all the names
returned and stat the thing to figure out if the name is a directory,
or if it is a file (ie, if it is a subdirectory, we need to scan the
child to see if it has directories, in that case, we need to stick a
[+] sign there).

   So, I would like to get rid of nice-feature-on-point-1.  It is
nice, yes, but it makes all sorts of people upset because they can not
use the file manager on their systems.

   Is there any objections to me removing the [+] feature from the
file manager?

Miguel.

--
        FAQ: Frequently-Asked Questions at http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq