From: James Ramsey [mailto:jjramsey_6x9eq42@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 1999 3:00 PM
To: gnome-list@gnome.org
Subject: Feature suggestions for GNOME-compliant WMs

Yes, I'm the guy who harped and harped on how horribly stupid it was
for gnome-session to make it so that trying to exit GNOME via the root
menu didn't work. [insert self-deprecating sarcasm here] Further, I
made some dumb, clunky suggestions to boot. Aside from the legitimate
criticisms of the clunky suggestions, I also noticed that some of you
like being able to have GNOME still running even when you quit a window
manager so that you can switch window managers without exiting X.

I suggest that GNOME-compliant window managers have two features that
can be made available from the root menu:

1) An "Exit" feature that would always simply terminate the window
manager, period.

2) A "Logout" feature that would

a) call "save-session --kill" (or some functional equivalent) if GNOME
were running

b) exit the window manager if no desktop environment were detected to
be running

Note that part 2b did not say "exit the window manager if GNOME wasn't
detected to be running". If the developers of the window manager wished
to be compliant with some other desktop environment, the "Logout"
feature could be used to exit that other desktop environment. The
"Logout" feature could be pseudocoded something like this:

define logout()
{
if GNOME_IS_RUNNING
	save-session --kill
/*Optional code begins here:  */
else if BORP_DESKTOP_ON
	exit-borp
else if XDE_IS_RUNNING
	say-bye-bye
/*End optional code. */
else
	exit()
}

The basic idea is that power users can have a root menu entry that just
exits the window manager if that's what the power user wants, while the
"Logout" feature would do something more along the line of what
end-users would expect.

===

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----