Re: gnome-terminal vs. vi

On 26 May, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
+-----
| > The problem here is that gnome-terminal exports $LINES and $COLUMNS into
| > the environment --- with incorrect values ($COLUMNS is okay, $LINES is
| > 65 in my experience --- with a real window size of 24).  curses tends to
| > believe $LINES before even the TIOCGWINSZ size (IMHO incorrect, but...).
|
| Do you think I should remoev LINES and COLUMNS settings?
+--->8

At the very least, they should be exported with correct values --- but
$LINES and $COLUMNS exist only because early System V didn't have
TIOC[GS]WINSZ, they were a cheap substitute.  They have very little use
on modern systems and shopuld probably be dropped except on those older
systems (OTOH I would not expect GNOME to build on SVR2).

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu