Re: Gnumeric/Guile/Python

At 13:22 25/05/99 -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

>> Is it possible to store python or guile program in *.gnumeric file
>> rather then in a separate file? Imagine the possibility --- delivering
>> python code in a form of spreadsheet file with no need for
>> installation of any kind.
>
>No, there is no way to do this.  And for now I have no plans on doing
>this.  Until we fully understand the implications of potential viruses
>transmited by this medium, I do think this is not a good idea.

  I was thinking of this just yesterday, as it seems another macro
  virus is looming over the horizon to MS Office users. I think it
  very dangerous to allow documents to have "active" behaviour, as
  we have been witnessing lately. At the least, there should be a
  "sandbox" around the document, lest we are subject to same threats
  as Active X applets over the internet display. In fact, I think
  MS has a *big* problem in his hands, and I'm amazed at how the
  press is being so lenient to MS. Moreover, I think there is a
  window of oportunity here, for safe products that compete with
  MS Office.

--
JS