Re: The State Of The Art

Michael ROGERS wrote:

>  Also, if you're going to have freedom of movement in three dimensions you
> have the possibility of windows ending up upside down (spin 180 degrees
> horizontally, then 180 degrees vertically... you're back where you started
> but the other way up).
>
>  Just thinking aloud BTW, I don't want to knock the idea, it's very
> interesting. GUIs definitely need to move away from the flat desktop
> metaphor, it's just a question of finding a better one...

Agreed, this *is an interesting concept. I imagine some might have to
contend with motion sickness using such  an environment, and then we'll
have to work out how to bundle motion sickness tablets with the packages
for electronic transfer ;0).

I particularly liked Adam Moyes' idea about the virtual reality
interface ... guess that will be some time coming. Most "normal"  <VBG>
non computer people *I know have a conceptual problem with windoze. I do
not think it is an intuitive environment. I remember reading somewhere,
sometime ago, that the brain does not order things in a symmetrical and
linear fashion. Rather, people with successful ordering systems might
appear sloppy and chaotic to the casual observer. If this were true,
then emulating or even refining the 'traditional' desktop' is not where
we want to go. An interesting aside which might (or might not!) have
some bearing on this line of thinking is that people with incredibly
fantastic memories, photographic even, are not necessarily so because
they possess incredibly powerful brains, or that they order things
neatly, rather they tend to be people who are good story tellers.
Everything they see becomes part of an continuous internal narrative,
and when they need to re-construct, they just re-tell the story.
To reiterate, the ordered desktop we use today (the Windows model), is
not the easiest for our brains to implement.
An environment which gives the freedom to apply real life habits of
natural and intuitive organization, might be the key to open the
floodgates to get the whole planet involved in productive cooperation
... hehe! Did anyone famous ever say utopia was just an idealistic
dream?

My two cents.

Cheers
Krisno.