Re: The State Of The Art

You can almost do this with fvwm at the moment.  With it, you can use any
viewport (within reason -- not hanging off the side of the desktop, and
has to be oriented normally).  The fvwm config file command Scroll allows
you to scroll in a minimum of 1% of the screen area.  From memory you can
also middle click on the pager to move the viewport to an arbitrary
position.

>From this base, it would be quite simple to modify fvwm to use a
cylindrical desktop metaphor.

As for the argument about whether you are on the inside or outside of the
cylinder, I think that topologically these are indistinguishable when
using a small flat viewport.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au