Problems with RH6.0 GNOME

Reference Redhat release 6.0.

Problem 1:

  This one is really nasty and I have no idea what is going on.  I have gnome
  configure for one desktop with 9 virtual areas.  There are items in all
  nine areas.  If I quit gnome and tell it to save the layout the next time
  I start gnome ALL, and I mean ALL, of the applications are placed in the
  upper left virtual area.  To make matters worse, they are all placed
  top center, no matter where they were located previously.

  Why isn't this working?

Problem 2:

  The cursor has been chnaged to the cursor you see when X starts.  It stays
  that way, instead of becoming a pointing cursor.  How the hell did gnome
  get that screwed up and how do I fix it?

Problem 3:

  How to start PPP without using linuxconf program.  I currently start PPP
  using gnome-linuxconf.  I've read rumblings about a gnome-ppp program.
  But it isn't on any of the gnome menus.  One would expect it to be on the
  Internet menu, but it isn't.  Neither of the two manuals that come with
  RedHat 6.0 mention gnome-ppp at all.  A which and whereis finds nothing.

I've been working with OpenWindows and the olvwm manager for many years.
With that combination, I was able to start applications, size them and place
them in particular virtual areas and position them within those virtual
areas.  I have no idea how to do that with gnome.  Obviously the idea is to
start applications, place them where you want them and when you quit gnome,
save the session so that they'll return where you left them.  Well, that it
horribly broken.  So, if there is a way to start applications and place
them in particular virtual areas and at certain locations in the virtual area,
I'd sure like to know about it.

That's all for now.

Thanks for any fixes, hints, pointers, etc.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@cm.nu
        [Where do you think Microsoft would be today if they waited]