Gnome 1.04/KDE 1.1/Red Hat 6.0

1) Cannot connect to ISP using gnome-ppp as user. If I su to root and then
launch it, it works. Otherwise, the "pppd deamon dies unexpectedly." I tried
finding the pppd file and setuid it by "chmod u+s pppd", but I cannot find
this file at all. How can this problem be fixed?

2) How can I turn off the modem speaker when using gnome-ppp?

3) After upgraded to RH 6.0, Gnome became the default window/session
manager. How can I quickly change to KDE and back to Gnome again? Is this
possible?