Re: The State Of The Art

Michael ROGERS <M.Rogers@cs.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>  To preserve the illusion of space (so that you can remember where your
>windows are), movement between areas of the... um... work surface is going
>need to be animated (ie you see the sphere spinning around you rather than
>"jumping" from one area to another). I imagine this would place some heavy
>demands on your hardware... any thoughts, E users?  ;)
I think you can do a cheap version; tricks like zoom rects give you most of
the impression of motion without the CPU load.

>  Also, if you're going to have freedom of movement in three dimensions you
>have the possibility of windows ending up upside down (spin 180 degrees
>horizontally, then 180 degrees vertically... you're back where you started
>but the other way up).
Yeah - I answered this in another email, but I'm becoming more of a fan of
the cylinder idea than the sphere because you get most of the freedom
without the need for clever maths and special cases at the poles of the
sphere.

dr geek