Re: The State Of The Art

Momchil Velikov wrote:
> So, what's the great idea. Having twisted, bended, curved, etc. windows at you
> screen ?
> Ha, "... so that the window selected is always nicely centered ...", blah-blah
> I DO NOT my damned windows "nicely centered", I want them where I put them.
>
> -- velco
>
> PS. Who the hell you work for ?

hm.
first of all i don't think it's very constructive mocking about people
with 'new' ideas however weird they may seem at first. i have a bad
feeling about the linux desktop re-coding already existing standards-
you may have had the same experience when you showed your gnome-desktop
to winusers and first reply you got was 'eh looks like windows, doesn't
it? do those linux folks actually *have* to re-implement everything?'.
i once saw a faked screenshot of an imaginary 3d-desktop which showed
off some gimp and xterm windows being tweaked in all (3) directions
which not only look very exciting but gives room to a new comprehension
of the userfriendly desktop. i mailed the guy who made shot and asked
whether there is something like that in development; e.g. a new
windowmanager or something. i then came across the berlin consortium
which goes right into that direction: they are implementing a new
(really new) desktop which is intended to be an X replacement; it is
coded on opengl and other standards and may eventually be able to allow
a three-dimensional desktop. it's ideas like this that will finally make
unix/linux the leading standard, not things like gnome or kde which are
(admit it) quite close to conventional look-and-feel (sic!).
btw the url of the berlin-consortium is www.berlin-consortium.org.

uhm... one more point. it may be a bit inappropriate to send a mail with
some personal opinions/ideas and starting it with two dozen lines of
self-descriptions ("i'm a hacker of many years") muahahaha =) (maybe you
should rather contribute to the unix community by coding rather than
pretending to code ;)

excuse my bad english.

fritz