undefined reference when compiling gnome-lib

Hi,

If this is in the faq or has been answered previously, could you direct me
to the proper place..i've searched both but with no luck.

I'm trying to compile gnome-libs-1.0.9 from source, but I've run into a
small snag. When it gets into the libgnorba directory and tries to do
something with making the library (i'm not sure what..i'm not well versed
in libraries), it bombs out, saying:

../libgnome/.libs/libgnome.so: undefined reference to `esd_close'
../libgnome/.libs/libgnome.so: undefined reference to `esd_sample_getid'

I've successfully compiled and installed esd already, the configure script
for gnome-libs saw esd, and gnome-libs got made succesfully. What's going
on? Thanks!

Liam

--
Liam Stewart
E-Mail: liam@ualberta.ca

It is an important and popular fact that things are not always what
they seem.  For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed
that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so
much -- the wheel, New York, wars and so on -- whilst all the dolphins
had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.  But
conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more
intelligent than man -- for precisely the same reasons.
                -- Douglas Admas "The Hitchhikers' Guide To The Galaxy"