Re: CORE dumps be gone ?

Hall wrote:

> My Sparc Station at work has that setting and I asked about using this with
> Linux about a year ago. Some people said it would work so I gave it a try...
> >From what I can tell, it doesn't though. Then again, maybe I only added it
> to my user's shell startup script. The core dumps I'm still seeing could be
> caused by root. Maybe I should put it in /etc/bash_profile instead ?
>
> Also, ulimit is no longer supported, according to its man page. As far as I
> know, there's no replacement either.

Ulimit is part of the shell; it is not a command-line program.  The man
page you are referring to is for the ulimit(3) function, but there's
nothing that requires bash (or whatever) to use that function to
implement the ulimit shell intrinsic.

To test whether you've got the ulimit command right, compile and run
this C program:

        int main(void) { char* p = 0; *p = 42; return 0; }

You should see "Segmentation fault" instead of "Segmentation fault (core
dumped)".  If that succeeds and you're still seeing core files, another
user is producing them.  If you still get cores with the ulimit for
cores set to 0 bytes, you may perhaps need to upgrade your copy of
bash(1).

As for putting the file in /etc/bash_profile (actually, /etc/profile is
better), that'll work, but it may be too drastic a measure for some
people.

Good luck,
--
= Warren Young, maintainer of the Winsock Programmer's FAQ at:
=     http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/programming/winsock/