gmc desktop-scripts: how to create default directory?

I want to have another folder alias (link) show up on the desktop by
default in addition to the user's home directory.  I found in
/usr/lib/desktop-links/ how to get rid of the redhat links that get
placed by default, but I'm a little sketchy on how to create a default
link to a directory on the system.  (specifically, /usr/public)  The
README.desktop in gmc's docs is a little short on details.

Yes, I know you can easily add it once the user's desktop starts up, but
I have a lot of users and want to establish a standard.
Brock Freeman       | <Brock.Freeman@mila.com>      | 800/551-1596
Info Tech Director  | Information Technology Group  | 425/672-5659
MILA, Inc.          | http://brock.mila.com/        | Fax/672-6381
PGP Public Key:  http://brock.mila.com/brocks_key.key