gnome-app headache

  Hi,

  I'm trying to convert a program to use gnome-app.  Currently I'm running into
a problem: the program (an AIM client) displays a login prompt where the user
enters his/her username and password in its main window.  When the user logs in,
the login dialog is removed from the window and replaced with the list of
contacts.  Previously, there was no logic to set the size of the contact list
correctly because it just happened that the login dialog was a good size for
the contact list.  However, I've made some modifications to the login dialog
that basically changed it from being tall and thin to being short and fat.
Is there *any* way to convince gnome-app to change its size when the client
area size changes?  I've tried gtk_widget_set_usize on every widget I can
find, gtk_widget_queue_resize on the same; I've tried manually changing the
dock's client widget, calling gtk_widget_resize_children on various containers,
setting the app's contents to be a vbox and removing/adding things from that,
and finally combinations of the above.  Nothing works.  Is there any way
to hack around this problem?  I'd rather not have to pop up a second window
for the online list--that's how the program originally worked and we modified
it to use a single window to avoid a situation where windows were sliding in all
over the place..

  Daniel
--
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual
way.  This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of