Re: GDM photos

On 10 May 1999, Martin Kasper Petersen wrote:

> > Anyone know how do I include photos for the GDM browser? I tried
> > putting in .jpg and .png pictures in the .gnome/photo directory but
> > nothing appears.  Thanks.
>
> ~/.gnome/photo is supposed to be *a file* containing an Imlib
> supported bitmap.

I must ask a security question; to what extent has the imblib image
rendering code (and libraries used) been security audited?

Whilst I am on the topic of security, can someone confirm my initial
impression of the gdmgreeter security model?

My understanding is this: gdmgreeter is spawned by gdm. gdmgreeter runs as
a non-root user. gdmgreeter is untrusted by gdm (which runs as root).
gdmgreeter passes the intended user, password and session back to the
parent process, gdm, which does all the authentication itself.

Chris