Re: Are GNOME apps _supposed_ to open slowly?

In message <>, "Momchil 'Velco' Velikov" writes:
| man strace ;-)
| then
| strace gnome-terminal
| (or whatever starts slowly) and then there is a good chance that you'll
| see
| where the process spends a lot of time. Maybe on some read/write on a
| socket,

There also exists a program "ltrace" which traces library calls (shared
library entry points, I believe).  Whereas strace can't show you that a
program is stuck in a library routine that picked up a bogus parameter from
somewhere, ltrace might.  (ltrace also shows system calls)
(The Debian archive shows an 0.3.7; I don't seem to be able to find a tarball
of it)

brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]
electrical and computer engineering					 KF8NH
carnegie mellon university	      ["God, root, what is difference?" -Pitr]