Imlib install location

I have been using gnome from cvs for about eight months and have always
put everything in /opt/gnome.  Since Gnome 1.0 is just about done, I
thought I would start moving some things to /usr, as Redhat apparently
prefers for 6.0.  So I made RPMs of the support libraries (imlib,
audiofile, etc) and uninstalled those from /opt/gnome and then installed
my RPMs, which put everything in /usr. I left the gnome stuff in
/opt/gnome for now, since it's still getting better.

Well, everything is fine except the panel can't find imlib and won't
start.  Everything comes up fine but the panel bombs. An strace shows
that it is trying to open /opt/gnome/lib/libimlibpng.so and
libimlibxpm.so, both of which it can't find, and then convert looks for
a "delegates.mkg" file, can't find it, and it cores.

I've run ldconfig five times, run make clean and rebuilt gnome-core and
gnome-libs and nothing helps.  I finally sim-linked the imlib libs from
/usr/lib into /opt/gnome/lib, and it works, but that's not the right
way.

Anyone know what's up?  There must be a file somewhere that's causing
this, but I've no idea where.

Jay Love