Re: Database storage approach (2)

Hello!

Sorry if I'm late in the topic, here it goes:

**

Microsoft's Structured Storage and Compound Files (basis to OLE2)
technologies implements what you're proposing... a kind of persisten
object repository. But they think of it as filesystem.

i.e. a .xls file is really a filesystem. There are directories and files
in it. Microsoft calls `streams' to the files.

Basically, when you insert (incrust) a Excel document in a Word document,
it creates a subdirectory in the directory named `OLE'. In the new
directory stores some files, some are the actual information, some are
metadata. As a matter of fact, Microsoft users are able to do the kind of
queries that you purposed, all in the GUI, at least when using Office 95.
Just no one uses it... =) (BTW, it would be better to write that queries
in SQL, or better in XQL, the XML-SQL languaje).

Compound Files are a persistant object repository. Following with the
example, Microsoft Word knows only little things about the incrusted Excel
document: enough to store it and launch Excel app when it's double
clicked.

But this kind of file system is terribly broken, I mean it's far to be
fault tolerant, it's undocumented in its basis and altough it's seems to
me is unchanged from Office 4.2 to Office 97, nobody can say the same
about Office 2000.

**

Well, now what I think.

The first time I read your mail I liked the idea to substitute the file
system with a database. But, what benefits would be derived from that?

Search the metadata (i.e. open the files I edited yesterday) is not one of
them. That feature can be implemented easier in GNOME using XML, i.e.
gnumeric files would use a <METADATA> tag, with <AUTHOR>, <CREATIONDATE>,
<MODIFICATIONDATE> tags.

Fault tolerant is not one of them: one can think a better file system that
ext2fs, say ext2FTfs (Fault Tolerant), derived from the original ext2fs.

Distributed file system can be one of them, although coda (in Linux
kernel) is appearing now.

So, what benefits could be derived from the switching? The API, the GUI,
the different views, the command lines program that manages such creature
are easy to think and easy to do. The real task is justify it.

BTW, sorry for my broken English.

--
Arturo Tena
arturo@directmail.org