Ill-informed gmc suggestion

I just realised it's been several weeks since anyone made an
ill-informed suggestion for a gmc feature, so I thought I'd make one of
my own: instead of grabbing the server and rubberbanding, could the
selection box on the desktop be drawn as a shaped window (only needs
four rectangles)? Systems without the Shape extension could use the old
method, selected by the same menu option that turns shaped icons
on/off.  I notice a few people have been caught out by this, thinking
that their system was frozen or whatever, and I think using a shaped
window would solve the problem. How about it?

 - Michael Rogers