Difficulties installing GNOME with RH5.2

Hi.

I'm trying to install gnome under 5.2 and get complaints from rpm about
library dependencies when I use the command

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

The libraries which are complained about seem to exist so I suspect that
somehow rpm just doesn't know about them.  I think I'm missing something
fundamental about how libraries are used so I'm hoping that there is a
simple fix to this but I know better.  I have repeatedly run ldconfig -v to
ensure properly updated links and cache but that doesn't seem to have made
any difference.

When I run

rpm -i *.rpm

I get a whole host of messages telling me of conflicts with existing files.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

John Helly, University of California, San Diego, NPACI/SDSC, MC 0505
9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0505
Phone: Voice +01 619 534 5060 / FAX +01 619 534 5113
Deliveries: 10100 Hopkins Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093