Themes went wonky!

After running Gnome for 12 days (a pleasant happening since I rebooted my
Win 95 at least 10 times during that time) I restarted the machine.  When I
went back into Gnome all my GTK themes were gone.  I reinstalled those that
would (apparently some need a newer version of GTK) but they don't display
correctly.  If I look at the .png file for a given aspect, the menu
background for example, it isn't the one used for the theme.

I start X with 'startx -- -bpp 24' (the same way I always did).  Any ideas?

Running on RH 5.2 w/ Gnome 1.0.4 (the 4/14 rpms).