Re: undefined symbol: __register_frame_info

Greg Fall wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, John Williams wrote:
>
> > I get this error when trying to start mcserv, mc, gmc and gxedit from the
> > shell, I get this error.  I also get it when trying to compile gnumeric
> > 0.21;  I have gnome-libs-1.0.3
>
> Somebody told me a while back that this error might be occurring because
> some of those apps were built with egcs while the gtk+ RPM was built
> with gcc, or vice-versa.  I don't know if that's true.  This error
> appears more often with every new RPM release. Now it also affects the
> latest gedit, esound, gnotepad+, and gqview.  I wish somebody would step
> to the plate with an explanation for this problem.  Meantime, I'll try
> rebuilding the gtk+ RPMs and see if that helps.
>
> I'm talking about Red Hat 5.2 and RPMs from GNOME mirrors.  Couldn't be
> more in line than that, I reckon.
>
> --=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--
>     ___
>    /.  \    Gregory Fall                Phone: 734-913-4662
>    \/  /    University of Michigan      Fax:   734-763-7130
>      \ \    2455 Hayward Street         email: gmfall@engin.umich.edu
>    __/_/    Ann Arbor, MI 48109                gmf@dweezil.dynip.com
>
> --
   Hey, I know this (I think).  This comes from libs or executables that
are compiled with glibc-2.1.x and are attempting to run on a glibc-2.0.x
system; ie., __register_frame_info is defined in glibc-2.1.x and not in
2.0.x.  I've run into this error since trying to revert back to the
2.0.x series:  seems like too many programs don't like 2.1.1.  Hope this
helps

  --Tim
--
  For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit
within him?  In the same way, no one knows the thoughts of God except