Re: Install probs.....

Hi there, Newbie!  Welcome to Earth ;-)

The solution is quite simple.  You need to edit your /etc/hosts file to
report your machine name.  At the top, it probably has a line like this:

127.0.0.1   localhost

This line needs to be edited to show your machine name.  It appears to
be Maize according to your messages.  If this is true, you need the line
to read:

127.0.0.1  Maize localhost

However, it is my understanding that to be strictly correct, you need to
include the fully-qualified Domain Name here:

127.0.0.1  Maize.<domain_name> Maize  localhost.localdomain localhost

Where <domain_name> is your domain name (either from your network or
your ISPs domain name).  This should set you straight.  Enjoy!

Tim

David Luyk wrote:

> Pardon me for asking what could possibly be a stupid and painfully obvious
> question, but everytime I attempt to install gnome on a clean install of
> redhat 5.2 I get the following errors.
>
> First, after i edit my Xclients file and insert gnome-session and restart
> and all that stuff, when i type in startx, gnome will not load.  this is the
> error i get....
>
> SESSION_MAGAGER=local/Maize:/tmp/.ICE-unix/473,tcp/Maize:1109
>
> Priority 00  :  Starting         Id=default 0
> Priority 00  :  Cloning         Id=default 0
> Priority 00  :  Regerstering  Id=(null)
>
> Segmentation fault  (core dumped)
>
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(),  pid476, errno=2
>
> um, i'm a newbie, i have no idea what to do.
>
> thank you for your time
>
> david luyk
> dluyk@engin.umich.edu
>
> --
begin:vcard
n:Lewis;Timothy
tel;work:760-761-4673
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.timelinevista.com
org:Timeline Vista, Inc.;Operations
adr:;;1755 La Costa Meadows Dr., Suite "B";San Marcos;CA;92069;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:tlewis@digaudio.com
title:Manufacturing Quality Engineer
fn:Timothy Lewis