Startup app? Possible bug or user error?

Hi folks...

  I've been playing around with the Startup apps feature in gnome a bit.
Either I'm a bit confused (entirely possible), or there may be a bug in
this bit.

  Since I haven't been successful in getting any WM dock apps to be
swallowed (cf. other post on that issue), I've been trying to get this
feature to start these apps automatically.  I have no trouble adding
apps to the list of apps to be started.  However, after saving these
changes and closing the window, if I go back to the window, there's
only one app in the list -- the last one I entered.

  I've tried varying the order in which I enter the apps, and have
verified that it's always and only the last app entered that is
retained.  I've also looked at the ~/.gnome/session file and verified
that only this app is entered in the appropriate line for it.

  I've attempted to edit the session file manually to get more than one
app to autostart, with no success.

  So...err, am I doing something wrong here, or is something actually
broken?

(BTW, RH5.2, latest RPM install of gnome, latest tarballs of Enlightenment)

On a somewhat related note, is there a way to turn on and/or redirect
debugging output from gnome?

Thanks,
Mark