assortment of hopefully unlame questions

Greets and Salutes,

Few quick questions.

1.  What causes libpixmap not to be a shared library, hence being unable
to use pixmap based themes.  I think I've seen this before.  Tryiing to
use the pixmap theme causes erros being unable to load libpixmap.so,
which is true because there's only a .la file.  I think I've seen this
problem discussed before and it being a png problem, but I can't seem to
solve this.  I've recompiled libpng 1.0.1 and glib,gtk,imlib,gtk-engines
but can't seem to get it.

2.  Can GDM be built on libc5?  I get errors with a crypt.h which I
don't seem to have.  I thought this may be due in part to not having
glibc2 (the glibc2-crypt package) of course i'm no programmer so i could
be way off track but can't seem to find a configure option to suit me.

-Brian