gtcd grows and crashes

I installed Gnome 1.0 on my RH 5.2 system without a hitch (way to go on
ease of use!), but gtcd is giving me trouble.  As soon as it starts, it
shows up huge and blank.  It covers all 8 of my virtual desktop areas and
brings processing to a grinding halt.  It correctly identifies my CD in
the titlebar but I my mouse is frozen while the hard drive grinds away on
swap space.  Memory used by gtcd and X spirals upward until my supply and
reserves are exhausted, at which point gtcd dies and I am back where I
started.  It has no geometry options so I can't get it to a manageable
size to work with it.  Any suggestions/answers??