Re: There is no "right" way to start gnome...

Robert Bihlmeyer schrieb:

> Hi,

>  Hall> ...is there ? From the numerous messages I've seen just in the
>  Hall> past few days, I don't think I've seen an agreed upon way to do
>  Hall> it.
>
> The way the Gnods intended it is to boot gnome by starting
> gnome-session from whatever X startup script you use. Without starting
> a window manager first. gnome-session will do the rest for you. In
> theory.
>
> But many people have problems with this, partly due to bugs, partly
> due to non-yet-implemented features, partly due to them making
> mistakes. So they use other ways to get the gnome rolling, equally
> valid, but less official.
>
> #ifdef DISCLAIMER
> IMHO, IANAD, YMMV,
> #endif

YES, exactly my problem with the latest gnome version. I use icewm
(latest) and gnome. In my .xinitrc I started 0.99 like this:

esd &
icewm &
exec gnome-session

and everything worked fine.

With gnome 1.0.x I have to start it:

esd &
icewm &
panel &
exec gnome-session

or NOTHING works. If gnome and icewm have been started I can work
without problems. But exiting gnome over the panel quits the panel but
not icewm. The only way to quit X is CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Kay