gnome-libs seg-faults during install

Hi all from Saginaw Michigan.

I have not been having much luck trying to get gnome-libs to install
correctly.  It always falls down just after installing the html pages in
./devel-docs

First problem I encounter is that the install program can't find a file
called 'index.sgml'.  Make appears to recover from this without any
problem, but trips up on the next problem, some program the install script
is trying to run called gtkdoc-fixxref.  Sorry, I looked everywhere on my
system and through all the present source code but no such animal exists.
This is a fatal error for make.  Can only get past it by removing the
install target in the makefile in devel-docs.

Last problem, after bypassing the devel-docs install stuff, make continues
on for a bit more, then encounters a call to a program called
gnome-gen-mimedb.  This program segfaults when run and this kills make.

Help!!!

System is Slackware 3.5, kernel 2.0.34, Xfree86 3.3.3, libc5 2.0.44, egcs
2-90-29 with the objective c extensions (version unknown, as distributed
with Slackware).  The library appears to compile just fine and running
'make check' shows the library passing all 5 tests.

What am I doing wrong?

Ron Gage - Saginaw, MI
(rongage@att.net)