gnome-session

    I a running kernel 2.2.3, gnome-libs 1.0.3, gnome-core 1.0.3, and E
15.3. I keep having problems with gnome-session. I have tried putting 'exec
gnome-session', 'gnome-session', and 'gnome-session &' in my .xinitrc, and
all that happens when I startx is a crosshatched screen with the X cursor.
Nothing loads up. I have changed my default wm (with a text editor) to
enlightenment both in /usr/local/share/default.session and default.wm, and
/usr/local/share/gnome/default.session and default.wm, and have put a  copy
of default.session and default.wm in my ~/.gnome/ dir, both as default.* and
'session'...any ideas?