docbook installation

I wonder how many persons have succeeded in installing
docbook/gtk-doc/gnome-docu such that it actually works.
For example where should DocBook DTD v3.0 be installed. You obviously
can't put it anywhere without specifying the path in some other place,
but where you have to specify what is cleverly hidden.

I'm now slowly beginning to see what is involved in getting it to work
(thanks to altavista: I just look for pages on the web that have
the error messages that I'm getting, hoping to find some explanation).
I suppose it'll only take a few more hours to solve my remaining
problems.

Anyway, maybe it's very easy and I'm missing something trivial. Or maybe
somebody might look at the README in for example gtk-doc and put something
useful in the section Installation.

Ok maybe I should install the rpms but I don't want that and for many
it's not an option.

For people trying to compile jade: it seems it's broken C++ since
egcs/pgcc gives compile errors, so use gcc-2.7.2.

Ronald