Re: Memory leaks

Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

> >  There seems to be an awful lot of memory leaks in the
> >  gnome/Enlightenment combination. I just thought that if there is
> >  a port of the code to an OS on which Purify or a similar memory
> >  tracker is available (and someone has access to a copy), it might
> >  be worth running it through and posting the results to the developers
> >  mail group.
>
> Do you have any reports in particular?  We are very interested in
> solving all memory leak issues.
>
> Unfortunately, only very few developers have access to Purify-like tools.

Not so far, however, I do seem to be affected by the previously discussed
``desktop switching'' leak. I am using E (0.15.3) and gnome-core-1.0.3, with
the marble-3d GTK theme. Previously I was using WindowMaker (with core-1.0.3)
and was getting the same behaviour.

Mostly my applications are static - I run them up once and leave them running.
Netscape (4.51) seems to chomp a lot, but I get the impression if I switch
desktops (I have 6) a lot, the swap space used seems to climb. At one point
I looked at my memory usage through gtop, though, and found that my X server
had a wapping 30M. This is XFree86-3.3.3 with the Mach64 server compiled under
egcs-1.1.1 and glibc-2.1.

I guess there are just too many unknowns during normal usage to say anything
definate, I'll see if I can dedicate some time to looking at the desktop
switching problem in the future.

Madman.
--
Signs of crime: screaming or cries for help.
                -- from the Brown Security Crime Prevention Pamphlet