Re: gnome-core-1.0.3 wont build

"Fox, Kevin M" wrote:
[snip]
> gsm-protocol.o: In function `commandv':
> gsm-protocol.o(.text+0x7af): undefined reference to `__va_copy'
> gsm-protocol.o: In function `gsm_args_to_propv':
> gsm-protocol.o(.text+0xf7e): undefined reference to `__va_copy'
> make[2]: *** [session-properties] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/gnome-core-1.0.3/gsm'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/gnome-core-1.0.3'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
> Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.71483 (%build)

This is one of the things I was referring to in my original message.

I believe this is because the 1.0.1 RPMs were generated with egcs
and glibc-2.1.  Because a number of the libraries install config
files (eg. glibconfig.h, gktconfig.h, etc.) which are built based on
the configuration of the machine on which the RPM was built, you
inherit some of those dependencies when you install that RPM.

That particular dependency comes from glibconfig.h (IIRC, sorry if
I have that wrong, but I am doing this from memory), which defines
G_VA_COPY to __va_copy which I am guessing is part of egcs.

Rebuilding glib-1.2.0 with my local compiler fixed that particular
problem.  It was one of the reasons why I embarked on trying to
rebuild all of the RPMs from the tarballs, was to try to eliminate
any more of these hidden dependencies.

=============\ http://members.home.net/dean-elhard /=================
Dean Elhard   \_____ dean_elhard@viasoft.com  ____/ I'm a telepath...
 (NOT speaking for) \  dean-elhard@home.com  /     Work It out...