Re: Gnome binary distribution for solaris ?

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Philippe Provost wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just got a solaris 250 running solaris 2.7 (alias v7). I am not
> familiar with Unix system V (while I am with BSD), have no compiler,
> no development environments at all but would like to use GNOME and
> maybe Windows Maker.
>
> Is there a place where I could get binary distribution for these
> solutions ? with all the libs and required files bundled ?

It really sucks how the commercial Unixes charge you extra for basic
tools like the compiler.  I've got good news and bad news for you.
The bad news is, as far as I know, there's no prepackaged Solaris 7
binaries for GNOME.  The good news is there are prepackaged binaries
for all the GNU tools you need to compile stuff, including GNOME.  Go to
http://smc.vnet.net/ for more info.

After you get familiar with the tools, if you (or anyone else) start
making Solaris 2.6 or Solaris 7 packages of GNOME, let us know at
webmaster@gnome.org so we can either link to your page or include the
packages on the FTP server.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef