Problem with gnome and startx

I downloaded and installed ALL of the RPM's for redhat 5.2 including the
devel RPM's. I then moved my .Xclients to a back up and made a new one with
a line in it.

>>>.Xclients<<<
#!/bin/bash
gnome-session

When I startx, enlightenment starts and shows me the meter of it starting
but then hangs and does nothing after the meter gets all the way across.
The only way I can do anything is to ctr-alt-bksp and dump out of X. the
only line that looks different is a line that says "Imlib Init" ... that is
the last line of the X debug after I ctrl-alt-bksp to get out of X.

Any help would be appreciated.