Please help me on GNOME 1.0 problem...

Hi, I'm a newbie on Linux world.
Several days ago, I was succeded with installation of KDE1.1 on
RedHat5.2,
and now I'm trying to upgrade GNOME 0.99 came with the CD-ROM to
GNOME1.0.
I'm having a problem with running GNOME by typing startx, after I did
"kdm_off"
to switch off kdm and enabled xdm.  After Enlightenment mouse-cursor
shows up,
everything is freezed until I quit X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

Should I uninstall KDE all together?  Or are there ways to coop them
somehow?

I have followed every instruction on the web page.

Thanx in advance,

Isao F. Yamashita