Re: [pdorman ihug co nz: Control Center probs / List probs]

David Ford wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, hhv wrote:
> > This problem has already been annoying and irritating many people. Why
> > doesn't the maling lists page on www.gnome.org mention the fact, that in
> > order to post to the list or to send subscribe requests the user must be
> > logged in as some ordinary user, but not as 'root' on his own system?
> >
> > Henning
>
> IMHO, disallowing root to send mail is qmailish.  In my circle of friends,
> root doesn't necessarily have uid 0 and uid isn't necessarily root.

The lst software seems to be configured to drop mail by system accounts. It
looks at the 'sender' line in the mail header. And it seems to be configured
to consider 'root' as a system account.

> This person may or may not be root==uid0 but that isn't the point.  The list
> manager shouldn't stipulate which name a person can and cannot use.

That's it. But if he does, the user should be informed about. This would save
a lot of confusion and unnecessary mails.

> We use these alternative operating systems because we want to do things
> -our- way, not the m$ way.

Exactly

Henning

--