Re: win98 doesn't boot after Gnome install!!!

After reexamining your email again, I see several possibilities.  :)
#1.)  You installed NT, and Linux with the LBA on your hard drive enabled,
and then installed 98 with it disabled.

#2.)  You installed NT, and Linux with the LBA on your hard drive disabled,
and then installed 98 with it enabled.

Probably going into your bios setup and twiddling the LBA bit will make your
system be able to boot into 98 once again.  Hopefully this will also
allow you to continue booting Linux and NT, though NT is more likely to
have problems than Linux.

In any event, I still maintain that this is not a Gnome issue.  The only other
scenarios that I see are things involving a bad partition table to begin with.
Reason being simply that if your partition table is bad it is a long shot, but
still possible that Linux was overwriting other parts of your hard drive when
you installed Gnome to begin with.  Of course, under this scenario, any new addition
of product of any significant size would have caused the problem.  :)