Re: win98 doesn't boot after Gnome install!!!

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Tom Barraza wrote:

> or linux from the NT boot loader) before installing the gnome rpm's,
> but after installing them and rebooting, Windoze 98 no longer boots.

> how, this is the second time that an install of GNOME screwed up
> something in the boot record (the last time, the linux boot got
> hosed, but I was able to fix that fairly easily), I'm finding

This is definitely weird. To be honest I have doubts that Gnome is to
blame. I think it might have triggered some other problem though that
exists on your system. Maybe your harddisk has a problem, maybe a hardware
problem, maybe wrong bios settings. I assume you usually do not install or
otherwise write large amounts of stuff to the disk?

are you positive you did not use anything else harddisk related, like
hdparm, fdisk, etc?

of course, I can only guess here  ;-(

nils

---
"Why do we always come here?" - "I guess we'll never know."
"It'l like a kind of torture to have to watch this show."