Re: Root Permissions

On 12-Mar-99 Michael L. Shire wrote:
> IMHO, i don't like the idea of having to constantly type my password in
> to do things like mounting, playing cd's, accessing drives, etc.  i've
> found work arounds involving suid and fstab for some of the basics.  but
> i hope there is an easier way to configure general access to services,
> particularly for home machines like  mine where i'm the only user
> anyways.

Correct thing to do is add yourself to whatever group those devices you want to
use belong to and edit /etc/fstab to allow normal user to mount those devices.
Here is what I have in /etc/fstab to allow any user to mount sparq on /mnt/sparq

/dev/pda1       /sparq  ext2    defaults,users  0       1

And both /dev/pda1 and /sparq is in group disk, which as a user I belong to.
Here is what my /etc/group looks like:

disk:x:6:dayear

        hth,
        David