Core dumps

Suddenly, I'm getting core dumps in gnome, seemingly only from apps
which try to access the panel (gnomeicu, and panel applets)

I'm using a RH5.2 system with Gnome 1.0 compiled from SRPMS about a week
ago.  Everything had been working - the only change I made that I can
think of is that I tried to build a new RPM from the
gnome-libs-1.0.2.tar.gz, and it failed...  I've tried re-installing
gnome, and then uninstalling/reinstalling gnome, but the problem
persists.  No other errors, just "core dumped."

Where can I start to try to isolate the problem?

Thanks,

-Eric