Re: esd == bad_sound

Patrick Colbeck wrote:
> This seems to be related to the type of sound card you have. I have two PCs
> with RedHat 5.2 running the same 2.0.36 kernel and the same GNOME and ESD
> RPMS. The desktop with a real SoundBlaster AWE64 works fine with ESD but my
> portable with an on board Crystal sound card makes horible clicking noises
> as soon as ESD is loaded. It does play sounds but the clicking is always
> there.

Well, it may be poorly written drivers for the sound cards.  If I cat
out an .au file to /dev/audio, it sounds good.  If I cat out an .au file
to /dev/dsp, it sounds horrible.  Something to do with the different way
is processes the sound file.  Anyway, I guess esd uses the /dev/dsp
instead of the /dev/audio.

I'm using the stock ESS 1868 drivers from RH 5.2 cd.  I think it's worth
downloading the OSS sound driver and trying esd then.  Maybe the OSS
guys have a better driver for our cards. (?)

-Eric Wood