Re: any kernel 2.2.3 problems?

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Aisen, Alex M. wrote:

> Are there any known major incompatibilities with the new 2.2.3 kernel?
>
> I had gnome 1.0 more or less running with a 2.2.2 kernel.  When I built a
> new kernel using essentially the same .config file (make oldconfig), and
> boot the new kernel, I find that I can't start gnome properly.  It takes a
> long time to come up, and when it comes up, the panel icons are gone, and it
> won't logoff.   I have to manually kill the xserver. The gnome configuration
> directories in my home directory also seem to get trashed.  I know I'm not
> being specific, and I will try to track this down more.
>
> For now, I have made a fresh user account, and switched back to 2.2.2
> kernel.
>
> Thanks!

I had the same problem switching from 2.0.36 to the 2.2.x kernels.
I don't believe it had anything to do with the kernel however.
I also had my saved sessions doubling each time I reopend gnome.
At last count 82 processes, about 20 of those were individual
netscape sessions - brought the system to its knees. The solution
was to edit .gnome/session and remove all of the process lines from
5 to 82. I removed all lines to the point the window manager was refered
to. Now my sessions/panels load fast and no more lost applets.

2.2.3 seems to be bullett proof on my machine & Gnome 1.0.2 is working well.
I also have the Raid patches and raid0 & raid5 running on this machine.
Debian 2.0 packaging system.

Regards,
Mike

| Mike Nachlinger  (408) 446-9914  mnach@apres.org |