Re: gtk themes

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 08:50:39PM -0600, Cory Watson was heard to say:
> I was fiddling with a gtk theme the other day and I installed it
> incorrecty, now it seems whenever a Gnome app loads, I get errors as Gnome
> looks for the pixmaps for the theme (which Im not even using...)  It spits
> out GTK errors Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path... It gives line
> numbers, but I dont know what file these lie numbers live in:)  Any help?

  Many of the themes on gtk.themes.org are broken, in that they don't correctly
extract under <prefix>/share/themes [eg, the BrushedMetal theme has a flat
directory structure], or that their config files have settings specific to the
directory structure of the theme author and require tweaking to work.  In
the theme gtkrc file, there's sometimes an option called "pixmap_path".  You
should (AFAIK) almost never need this, assuming that you've installed it
following the 'standard' GTK+ system--GTK+ seems to search in the same directory
as the rcfile for pixmaps by default.  But some have it anyway, causing
problems if you didn't install Gnome/GTK+ in the same place as the author since
this entirely overrides the default settings.
  (I put it Gnome /usr/local/gnome and several had pixmap_paths that pointed
   at /usr/local/share/themes or, worse, a user's home directory)

  So in short:

1) Go to the directory where you untarred the theme
2) Go to the 'gtk' directory under this
3) Edit the file gtkrc [ you probably have to be root ]
4) Comment out the line beginning with "pixmap_path ..." by putting a
  '#' in front of it (there may be some already commented out as examples,
  ignore them. :-) )
5) If it doesn't work, ask for help again. ;-)

  Daniel

--
  Whoever created the human body left in a fairly basic design flaw.  It has a
tendency to bend at the knees.

             -- Terry Pratchett, _Men at Arms_