Re: GTT suggestion

On 11 March, 1999 - Eckehard Berns sent me these 2,3K bytes:

> > There are times when I want to have several timers running at the same
> > time, and this is currently not possible in GTT... how about having
> > separate timers for every project that you can flip on/off..
> >
> > This will change a couple of things:
> > 1) The status-bar will have to be dumped/changed (there's no "current"
> >    project)
>
> I could show the projects name if only one project is running, and a notice
> how many projects are currently running otherwise.

[total time][4 projects running          ]
[total time][Working on lame webpages    ]

Something like that perhaps?

> > 2) The "timer active" item in the timer menu will have to go (or atleast
> >    the check-box.. just a toggle..
>
> In the beginning I implemented the start/stop timer stuff as an
> alternative to a selected/unselected project with subtle differences
> in the behavior of gtt. But this seems to just confuse the user so
> I'll drop this anyway.

Yes.. if we go for the list-version, it won't do any good.. (will the
start/stop in the menu??)

> > 3) Some visual thingie would have to be implemented (running/not
> >    running)... a little red/green blob in the first column? (before
> >    total)
>
> In my opinion it would be enough to use the current scheme of GtkCList's
> selected/unselected.

Yes.. Nuke that idea of mine.

> Maybe a mixture of both ways. As long as only one project is selected, a
> single click will switch to that project, stopping the currently running
> project. A ctrl click would add a project to the list of running projects. And
> from then on all further clicks toggle just the state of that project until a
> function "stop all projects" is triggered. This can be a bit confusing, too.
> Gtt would start in the "normal" mode though, so if you don't explicitly use a
> ctrl click, you wouldn't notice any difference to the old behavior.

Pre-info: Selected projects are running.
          Selecting a running project stops it.

 0 selected, user clicks on one: it gets selected
 1 selected, user clicks on one: it gets selected instead of the old
 1 selected, user ctrl-clicks on one: the new gets selected as well as
   the old
2+ selected, user (ctrl or not-)clicks on one: the new gets selected too

Something like that? AFAIK, only last thing is non-standard...

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric@ing.umu.se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå