CVS Version Numbers

I have a question about the use of versioning in compiled cvs.
Specifically, why do the version not advance when a release has been
made? For example, imlib. Why does the version say 1.9.4 instead of
1.9.5, even though 1.9.4 was released a week ago? The reason I am asking
is because it makes more sense (from my point of view anyways) to up the
version in cvs right after a release, to prevent (for example) Imlib
1.9.5 CVS being compiled and installed to replace the stable 1.9.4
binaries?

GTK used to use this schema, so that when 1.1.10 was released, it would
create a new binary, but when new changes appeared in CVS, it wouldn't
up the version number to 1.1.11, so it would overwrite 1.1.10 with an
unstable (and possibly binary-incompatible) library, which wreaked havoc
with packages, because the file says it's 1.1.10, when it's really
1.1.11-beta. Fortunately, they upped the CVS version to 1.3.0 right
after 1.2.0 was released, so as not to be overwriting 1.2.0 with 1.3.0
stuff. I hope this behavior continues, so when 1.3.0 is officially
released, they will up the version in 1.3.1, so as not to overwrite the
final 1.3.0 library.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "All animals are equal, some animals