Re: First impression...

> > > this also helps me confirm what I wanted to do (copy or move). The last
> > > suggestions I'm not sure if that goes to the gtk+ or to MC, but it would
> be
> > > nice to be able to use the click on name to rename trick, in the detailed
> > > view, this does work in the iconic view. Next the icons don't all seem to
> be
> >
> > This is a gmc thing.
>
> Ah, the reason I thought it was a gtk thing was because I believe win32's
> common controls usually handle these kind of things.

It's possible that it does, although it's more likely to be in MFC than in
Win32.

> [detailed view only shows folder and shortcut icons]
>
> > Submit a bug report, see above for URL.
>
> Are you sure its a bug, I mean I've only seen screen shots of people using the
> iconic view so I don't know what the detailed view is supposed to show, and
> not only happens in detailed view but also happens in the brief and custom
> view (I'm using custom now BTW), I'll submit one though if you think it might
> be a bug. :)

I'm not sure if I completely understand what you are saying.  It doesn't
sound like a big thing though so I wouldn't worry about it.

> > As I recall, windows explorer doesn't do this either.  If you click on the
> > +/- it just expands/collapses but doesn't select.  I could be wrong
> > though.
>
> Oh, I probably worded it wrong, I meant windows does do this, its MC that
> doesn't do this, and I like it, as there are times when I want to stay in one
> directory because of a file and I want to copy move or create a link in
> another subfolder that is unaccessible until I expand a folder, if I expand a
> folder that accidently selects the folder (in MC) at the same time causing me
> to have to quickly reselect the folder that was unselected by accident, so
> that I do not lose focus of the files and what I'm trying to do, any way it
> would be nice to have it :).

Ok, I understand what you are saying now.  Put it as a wishlist item for
gmc.

> > Just realize that while the Windows way may be the one you're comfortable
> > with now, it may not be the best one.  If you keep that in mind, you
> > should be pretty safe.
>
> It depends on what might be the best, I consider higher productivity in a gui
> environment to be the best, other people tend to lean towards how something
> looks, but as you suggest I will stay open minded on it. :)

Well hopefully GNOME can get the best of both worlds and sacrifice looks
for productivity if there is a conflict.

> [upper resize edge]
> > This is a window manager thing.  What WM are you using?  If it is
> > enlightenment, try switching to a different WM theme.
>
> I'll check that out, although are most WMs the same or do they all work
> diffrently that its hard to know if I switch to another one will I lose other
> features that I might like?

If you change WM's what will be different will be things like window
decorations, root menus, *some* desktop icons (not ones placed by gmc).
Of course, a lot of these would change between themes in Enlightenment.

> > [Snip stuff on common libs/APIs]
> >
> > They already exist.  They're gnome-libs and GTK+.  As far as 3d stuff is
> > concerned I thought I saw an OpenGL GTK+ widget somewhere.  Not sure.
>
> Oh, man your teasing me, do these APIs work with hardware acceleration in a
> manner of drivers and such? I'd love to find this OpenGL GTK+ widget, although
> I have no idea if it would be HW accelerated or not, it would at least give a
> person a chance to be ready for HW accelerated OpenGL developement in gnome.
>:)

Look at http://freshmeat.net for the OpenGL widget.  I don't know if it is
hw accelerated or not.

Regards,
Marcus Brubaker
spoon@elpaso.net
http://www.elpaso.net/~spoon

"C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success." -- Dennis M. Ritchie