Gnome and Sound

I don't know if this question is gnome specific, but I thought I'd try anyway.  Is there anyway to have more than one program play sound at the same time?  Right now, for example, if I'm using x11amp and I try to play sound using another program, it says
the device is busy.  Is there any way around this?  At the moment, I'm starting up esd with the arguments '-as 2' so that Gnome doesn't take over all my sound.  Is there a way that everyone can share?

Thanks.

-Dan

btw:  I'm using RedHat 5.2 for i386.