newbie gnome ?'s, problems

Just got RH 5.2 updated with the latest Gnome.

One wierd problem I'm having is video related I'm guessing?

Just above the panel is a thin (maybe 1/4") squiggle line where the
background image is distorted - almost appears as if there is a dialog box
of some sort there - its just distorted - if I slide the panel over - it
appears that the entire area under the panel is affected?  It's most
noticable when I have a bmp as a background.   Any ideas what this could be
- I'm using a Diamond Permedia2 with the latest 3dLabs server.

Also - some of my panel applets don't do anything - where do I dig to find
out why these don't work?  For example - I try to start the fish applet and
nothing happens? :)

Finally - is there a digest version of this list???

Jim