Re: gnome doesn't work good.

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Kim Taavo wrote:
> Hi
>
> I did a fresh install of RedHat 5.2 and downloaded all needed gnome files
> and compiled and installed gnome. So far so good.
>
> But gnome core dumps all the time, well maybe not gnome but a lot of gnome
> apps. Control-center, Gnome Filemanager, menueditor, gtcd  and the panel
> are the big problems I have. They core dump whenever they feel like. :(
>
> Does anyone else have this kind of problem?

There are programs under GNOME that don't work perfectly, yes.

> How stable is gnome?

The GNOME libraries are pretty stable.  Programs running under GNOME may
or may not be.  Ideally we want everything to be stable, so by all means
send in bug reports.  Go to http://bugs.gnome.org/Reporting.html for info
on how to do this.

If you're not sure whether a problem is a bug or something you're doing
wrong, post a detailed bug report here first, and we can probably help you
right here on the list.  Make sure to include the vital statistics of your
system (processor, operating system, distribution, libraries, etc), and
the exact text of the errors.  For core dumps or program hangs, a
backtrace can be very useful.  Run the program under gdb until it hangs or
dies, and then use the bt command, copy the output to the email message.

> Have I forgotten/missed anything?

Dunno, you haven't said anything in detail.

> Can anyone help me?

Sure!  Just tell us the problems you are having.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef