Re: E and Solaris 2.6 bugs

>From: Glenn Kronschnabl <grk@arlut.utexas.edu>
>2) everytime I try to change an E theme, it complains that another
>enlightenment WM is running (which is wrong - I have verified this
>_everytime_), and it doesn't matter if I hit cancel or ok, E proceeds to
>lock up the entire X session, and I have to go to another terminal and
>kill E - then everything works okay.
>
>3) Display problems - sometimes the refresh of windows gets screwed up
>(i.e., they don't repaint themselves).  Even weirder, this only happens
>with GNOME apps, Netscape doesn't exhibit this problem.  When I switched
>to dtwm (not something I like to do), the repaint problem went away.

This number (3) is almost certainly a framebuffer (video card) driver bug.  Make
sure you have all the latest Sun patches for X and your video card for 2.6.

Number (2) though, plus this:

>From: Tomas Ogren <stric@ing.umu.se>
>I have to say that I've only been compiling E a couple of times, just to
>check the progress (machines too slow for E right now, fvwm2 works like
>a charm).. And in a few of those tries (not all I think) E has had
>problems restarting, saying that a WM is already running...

I've always seen this too.  And I'm running Solaris 8_alpha on an Ultra10/300 -
so I doubt it's the slow system speed that Tomas suggests =OZ

I've always put this down to having 2 screens, and so I *do* have 2 copies of
Enlightenment running when I click "Restart".  But sure enough, if I kill one,
and then attempt to restart the other, I *still* get told it can't restart as
another window manager is running...  How odd.

Since I can't reproduce the long pause in Enlightenment's startup at 94% (since
I upgraded to GNOME 1.0.1 and GTK+ 1.2 - so that was probably it) I'll use what
time I have now to try and debug this.  Don't let that stop anyone else from
trying too, though ;O)

Ta,

-------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful-------
o o                                      mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.  http://i.am/Moredhel  mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'                                             I'm the dots in .co.uk